When I was pregnant, I tried very hard not to spend money on pregnancy-specific products. After all, I reasoned, why should I spend money on items that I would only use for 9 months?
I was fortunate to have friends pass on maternity clothes to me (I always pass my maternity clothes on to others too, by the way…even in between babies…I figure…why keep a bunch of unused clothes around for one or more years when a friend could be using them?).
And I’m not big into pregnancy gadgets and gizmos either.
That said, these 6 products are ones that I think are worth buying:
1. Fabulous designer maternity jeans :: I had this AMAZING pair of maternity jeans from Chip & Pepper for my last pregnancy. I wore them all of the time because they were the only article of clothing that I owned that made me feel beautiful and small, even during my 3rd trimester (that’s me in my 3rd trimester over there to the left…). $100 or $200 is a small price to pay for that feeling. Especially toward the end when you just feel frumpy and clumsy and humongous.
2. Oversized bath towels or beach towels :: It’s totally not a good feeling to get out of the shower and have a towel that won’t wrap around your bum or your belly. Having a few oversized bath towels on-hand is very nice. I actually still prefer them…and I’m not even pregnant anymore.
3. Maternity underwear :: No, I’m not talking about those huge granny-style maternity undies (although I bet those are super comfy…). I’m talking about bikini-style maternity underwear from anywear…or underwear that’s one size up. It’s totally wonderful to have a little stretch and extra room for your bottom. I wish I could say that your bottom doesn’t expand when you’re pregnant, but – unfortunately – I can’t…
4. at least one BellaBand :: BellaBands are great for:
- your first and second trimesters when you’re starting to bulge, but still want to wear your pre-pregnancy clothes.
- your third trimester when your pants start to fall down and you need something to hold them up.
- the post-partum period when you can *almost* squeeze into your pre-pregnancy pants, but would prefer a little extra “breathing room.”
I suggest that you start by purchasing a black one (but you’ll probably want to buy a few other colors as well; BellaBands are incredibly useful). I know there are “knock-off” versions of these available, but I have only tried the “real thing” so I can’t tell you if other brands are equally soft and stretchy.
5. Utterly Yours pregnancy pillow :: With my first pregnancy, I stubbornly refused to buy a pregnancy pillow – even though my husband offered. I just felt like I could “tough it out” for those last uncomfortable months. But, with my second pregnancy, I was soooo glad to have the Utterly Yours pregnancy pillow. It was such a relief on my back and tummy…and the pillow is brilliantly engineered. It’s compact and portable, yet it provides plenty of support. I highly recommend it.
6. Nursing Nightgown :: I always ended up reaching for my pink polka-dotted gown in that last month or so. It just felt comforting to have something that was relaxed around my tummy and “floating” around my legs. Actually, that nightgown ended up being my “coming home” outfit. It wasn’t the most flattering nightgown I could have bought, but it was only $25 and it provided easy access for nursing and there was plenty of room for my I-just-had-a-baby tummy too.
YOUR TURN: What products did you LOVE during your pregnancy?
***This post was sponsored by Three Lollies. If you’re experiencing morning sickness, you may want to try out Three Lollies’ newest product – Preggie Pop Drops Organic, “delicious sour fruit drops that are an all natural remedy for morning sickness.”
WIN IT! One winner will receive three boxes of Preggie Pop Drops Organic. To enter, leave any topic-related comment on this post prior to Tuesday, May 19 at midnight (Don’t forget to follow the rules…all generic comments like “Enter me!,” “Love it,” and “Cool stuff!” will be disqualified.).
*UPDATE* The winner is #15 Dan. Congratulations!