Here’s the complete list of what I packed in my labor bag for the birth center – including what I did and didn’t end up using.
I started with an awesome pre-packed labor bag by Duffle Your Bag. It was a wonderful luxury and provided me with a fantastic place to pack all of my labor/recover essentials.
Inside the sturdy and spacious canvas bag were these items:
- terry cloth robe (wore it within the first 72 hours)
- slipper socks (wore once when my feet got the chills)
- slippers (wore off-and-on for the 1st week)
- toiletry bag (great for keeping toiletries accessible)
- toothbrush and toothpaste (so nice to not have to pack my super fancy electric one)
- mouthwash (great to have, but didn’t end up using)
- shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion/lip balm (same as above)
- 8 sanitary pads & 3 pairs of mesh underwear (used them all)
- 3 peppermints (Mmm. Such a nice treat post-labor!)
- baby set: shirt, pant, booties, blanket, and stuffed toy (we left the stuffed toy at home, but…used this outfit to bring the baby home!)
- address book and pen (unused at the center, but great for jotting down to-dos and grocery lists at home)
I also added a few things of my own to the bag:
- a nursing tank from Japanese Weekend
- stretchy bottoms – my GymGirl from SkirtSports
- Lansinoh Lanolin
- Lansinoh disposable nursing pads
- Sahale Snacks – Valdosta Blend
- a handful of Pampers Swaddlers diapers in size N
- 1 container of Kirkland Signature baby wipes
- 2 aden + anais swaddling blankets
- DSLR camera and my phone
- a second baby outfit – just in case!
- 2 pairs of itty bitty mittens
- bath towel for the car ride home
Overall, I felt super happy with my packed bag. The Duffle Your Bag provided a great starting place…and then I supplemented with other items I knew I would want.
My recommendation to Duffle Your Bag would be to swap out the shower cap, baby blanket, and/or address book for nursing pads or lanolin instead. Also, itty bitty baby mittens would be more useful than a stuffed bunny (though he was cute!).
If I ever give birth again (we’ll see!), I recommend to myself to also pack a pair of super stretchy yoga/sweat pants and…more mints!
What did YOU pack in your labor bag? What would you consider to be essential/non-essential?
WIN IT! One winner will receive a Standard Labor Bag ($59.95) by Duffle Your Bag! To enter, leave any topic-related comment on this post prior to Wednesday, May 16 at 11:59 p.m. All generic comments like “Enter me!” or “Love it” will be disqualified. Winner must provide a US mailing address.
* Thanks to Duffle Your Bag for providing two bags – one for review and one for this giveaway.
*UPDATE* The winner is #26 Ashley. Congratulations!