It took us 6 hours flat to get from our house to Albuquerque, New Mexico. We only stopped once, a quick bathroom break alongside the road. Everyone was happy the entire time. In fact, it was the easiest road trip we've ever taken.
Here are 4 things that kept us smiling on the way...
1. Drive at night. Friends have told us this "trick" before, but I've always been hesitant to try it. I wondered if my girls (ages 1 and 3) would actually fall asleep or if they would cry in the dark. Well, I'm happy to report that it worked like a charm. We left at 5:30 and arrived at our destination at 11:30pm. For the first few hours, the girls played. Then, they both eventually nodded off, without any whimpers or complaints. They slept. We drove and talked. It was a beautiful thing.
2. Bring food. We snacked on dried mangos, a fruit & nut mix, and peanut-butter pretzels. On the return trip, we had to stop for dinner and our options were severely limited (Subway, McDonalds, etc...yuck). Next time, we will pack a cooler with sandwiches, fresh fruit, and special treats. It will be healthier, more convenient, and way more delicious.
3. Make your own bathroom. We always keep our Boon Potty Bench in the trunk of our car. It's useful for errands around town, but it's even more handy for road trips. We can stop anywhere, anytime and have a sanitary bathroom spot for our 3-year-old. So much better than trying to locate a public bathroom and then holding your small child over the toilet in the icky stalls, while saying, "Don't touch ANYTHING!"
4. Be organized. More specifically, use packing cubes. They are BRILLIANT. If you like, you can even buy one color for every member of the family. After you are done packing them, place all of the cubes in your suitcase...and everything will be easy-to-find and in-order when you arrive. A sanity saver, for sure...and well worth the cost, in my humble opinion.
How often do you go on road trips? What tips would you add? What snacks/activities do you bring along with you?
* There are affiliate links in this post.