It is my pleasure to welcome Hogan Hilling to Metropolitan Mama this afternoon. Hilling is the author of The Modern Mom's Guide to Dads: Ten Secrets Your Husband Won't Tell You (Cumberland House, 2007). Hilling is the founder of Proud Dads Inc. and is the father of three sons - ages 20, 18, and 14.
Hilling's book spells out, "what your husband really thinks about pregnancy, parenting, and marriage." The chapters cover everything from how to get your husband involved in housework and childcare to how to reduce conflict in your marriage. Today, I asked Hilling to share specifically about "date nights."
ME: You mention date night "rules" in your book. What are they?
2. Revisit some of the places where you dated.
3. A picnic at the park, beach or in your backyard.
4. A hike in the mountains, walk in the park or beach.
5. A carnival, if one is in town.
6. A visit to a museum.
7. Breakfast at McDonalds.
8. Church without the baby or children and then breakfast.
9. A quiet time in the house while the baby is with a relative, neighbor or friend. Spend it watching a Blockbuster movie.
10. Here is a creative pot luck idea. Write up dating suggestions on post it notes, drop them in a hat and before one of your date nights draw a suggestion out of the hat.
ME: How often do you recommend that couples go on date nights and why?
HILLING: Every two weeks if possible. At least once per month so you can make dating a routine. Commit to a certain day and time. This will make it easier for you to find someone to care for the baby or child. However, it’s also good to be spontaneous every once in a while.
Now it's YOUR turn to chime in! How often do you go on "dates" with your spouse and how do you make it happen?
WIN IT! One winner will receive The Modern Mom's Guide to Dads: Ten Secrets Your Husband Won't Tell You by Hogan Hilling and Jesse Jayne Rutherford. To enter, simply leave a comment on this post prior to Monday, April 14 at midnight (don’t forget to follow the rules). The winner will be announced and contacted on Tuesday, April 15. * Winner must provide a U.S. mailing address.
*UPDATE* The winner is #86 Stephanie. Congratulations!