When I was about 14 years old, I came up with this idea to create a collage using cut-outs from magazines that would highlight all of the things that I wanted to do before I died. Some of the things were romantic (get kissed in the rain); others were tactile (touch a whale’s tongue); still others were charitable (work in an orphanage).
Ever since that time, I’ve done something similar every year…usually every six months. I write down my goals – the silly ones, the noble ones, the daring ones. And I’m always surprised and amazed when I look back and realize that so many of them come true.
I feel just like Cinderella. Except that my prince is handsomer and smarter (Seriously, why does Prince Charming need the shoe to determine if it’s her or not?). Oh, and I most certainly do not have mice as friends.
Here are ten of the items on my current list:
- Go back to school and get my Ph.D.
- Write a best-selling book.
- Live in a community where I can walk to the grocery store or a farmer’s market (…being within walking distance to a park, swimming pool, and cafe would be nice too).
- Run in a Disney-sponsored race (a 5K, 10K, or maybe a 1/2 marathon).
- Be involved in “nerdy” research projects that answer some of my most perplexing questions. Example: How exactly does TV affect infant/toddler development AND what “type” of TV (educational, animated, background, etc.) is the best/worst for kids?.
- Consult with shopping centers, hotels, amusement parks, libraries, etc. about how to best reach out to families.
- Hire a talented photographer to follow around my family for a whole day…every six months.
- Master shooting a gun with greater accuracy and confidence.
- Take a dance class again – preferably jazz or hip-hop.
- “Shadow” a fantastic cook (not necessarily someone who is a chef by trade) who cooks healthfully/organically.