What kind of blog posts are your favorite?
- The personal, poetic reflections?
- The useful product reviews?
- The dream-inspiring giveaways?
- The how-to columns that teach you how to cook chicken enchiladas or how to leave blog comments that will get you noticed?
I like them ALL.
BUT – My very favorite blog posts are ones where the writer gives a little “snapshot” of her life or her day (preferably with photos). It’s somehow comforting to know that all moms have struggles, that no mom is perfect, that it’s normal to have toys strewn across the living room and no idea what to make for dinner at 5 o’clock.
I appreciate knowing that I’m not the only one with a grumpy toddler who wants me to make “noodles!” for every meal. I’m not the only mom who has had to change my clothes three times today because my baby spit up on me, my 2-year-old sprayed me with the hose, and I spilled lunch on myself while trying to eat one-handed. I’m not the only mom who doesn’t get perfect family pictures. Right?
Motherhood is a tough job. Period. It’s the hardest one I’ve ever had, to be sure.
So, for Mother’s Day…I don’t really want products as much as I want a break (anyone with me?). I just want a moment – a day – a week to not do something that I normally have to do.
These are 5 gift ideas that are guaranteed to please. Raise your virtual hand if you’re a mom and you wouldn’t want one of these five. Anyone? I didn’t think so.
- Maid Service : A one-time deep cleaning or a monthly service. I’ll take either.
- Photo Shoot : I love taking photos myself, don’t get me wrong. But it’s kind of nice to get professional portraits done every once in awhile.
- Meal Service : This gift could come in many forms. Homemade meals delivered to my doorstep. A gift card to Dream Dinners or a similar meal assembly store. Even a gift card to the nearest pizza delivery place.
- Sleeping In : Lately, I can’t complain about sleep around here. My girls have both been sleeping until 9 a.m. BUT I’ve had plenty of seasons/stages in the past where a morning to sleep in would have been positively heavenly.
- Kid-Free Hour/Day : I LOVE my kids to bits and pieces. I love them so much it hurts. I love them so much that I want to be home again as soon I leave them to go out for a kid-free jaunt. But I really do enjoy those kid-free moments. Even just a few minutes of solitude to sip a cup of tea or type without a baby in my arms. Hey, even just a few minutes to take a shower and do laundry…I’ll take that too.
What’s that, you say? You want to know what “material” objects I want too? Well, if you insist…
I think I’d have to say…
A charm for my newest daughter from Julian & Co to add to the necklace I already own.
A piece of canvas art from PhotoFiddle.
YOUR TURN: What do YOU want for Mother’s Day? What material and immaterial gifts would top your “wish list”?