If you were to see me in real life – at church or running errands or at the park – this is what you would probably see:
A curly-haired woman with green-hazel-blue-gray-always-changing-colors eyes – holding a preschooler’s hand and carrying a toddler on her hip or in a carrier. Smiling at you (I smile a lot).
I’m a big fan of babywearing or babycarrying or whatever you want to call it. Aside from all of the research-proven benefits, I like the closeness and security that baby carriers provide. I like the way my baby feels comforted and calm in my arms (People always say, “She’s such a happy baby!” and “Does she ever cry?” and things like that). I like the way that she is right at my eye level so that we can look at each other (and she can look at the world around her too). I like being able to grocery shop and cook and fold laundry, with her observing and content.
To date, here are the carriers I have tried or owned:
- BabyBjorn Spirit in Red Heat ($79.95)
- BabyHawk Mei Tai in Tweet ($79.99)
- Boba Organic Baby Carrier in Cedar ($118.00)
- Chicco Smart Support Backpack in Red ($92.00)
- ERGO organic baby carrier in Dark Chocolate ($120.00)
- Kelty FC 3.0 Child Carrier in Curry ($193.77)
- Kokopax Classic Carrier in Garden ($141.75)
- Maya Wrap Adjustable Pouch in Black ($27.50)
- Munchkin Jelly Bean Reversible Sling in Licorice Blossom ($29.99)
- PortaMEe Carrier ($170.00)
- Scootababy Baby Carrier in Black ($119.00)
- Sleepy Wrap Classic Baby Carrier in Orange ($39.95)
- Evenflo Snugli ($19.99)
My absolute favorite, hands-down, no-question is the ERGO. It’s comfortable, soft, supportive, and has an awesome sun/sleep hood that I use frequently. It also has a pocket that allows me to slip in my debit card or a little cash if I’m out and about. I’ve hiked with my 16-month-old baby for 6+ miles in it (with no back or hip pain).
My 2 least favorite ones would have to be (in order): Maya Wrap Adjustable Pouch (the company no longer sells them – for good reason!) and the Evenflo Snugli (not comfy).
Surprisingly, I’ve never used a ring sling…but I have my eye on Sakura Bloom for baby #3 (when that time eventually comes).
Do you wear your baby? Which carriers have you tried (and which one is your favorite)? Do you have any questions for me about the baby carriers I have listed?
* There are affiliate links in this post.