Yesterday, we delivered a meal to our friends Joy & Aaron (who just had their fourth baby).
The preparing of the meal was painless.
Lately, I’ve been doing this make-ahead meal system (using a phenomenal cookbook: Fix, Freeze, Feast). This system is convenient for our family, of course…but it’s also good when we want to bring someone a meal because we often have “extra” meals on-hand in our freezer. In this case, I pulled out a homemade vegetable lasagna tray (mmm….it is SO good), baked up some homemade granola bars, bought a bottle of sparkling cider, and we were all set.
Other easy meal ideas:
- Go to Costco or Sam’s Club. Buy a tray of pasta or a huge family size main dish salad, a bag of rolls, and a cheesecake. Done!
- Go to Trader Joe’s. Buy dry spaghetti, pasta sauce, meatballs (TJ’s meatballs are seriously good), salad fixins, and a bottle of wine. Done!
- Cook up homemade lasagna or enchiladas in an aluminum tray. Make a simple side dish (fruit salad, biscuits, sliced watermelon, veggies & dips) and/or an easy dessert (cupcakes, cookies, or a half-gallon of ice cream). Deliver!
As you can see, meals can be delivered in various stages of “readiness,” but they are sure to be appreciated regardless.
So, if you want to make somebody’s day, make a meal.
- Your friend is experiencing morning sickness? Make a meal.
- Your friend just lost a loved one? Make a meal.
- Your friend is pregnant and has other littles to care for? Make a meal.
- Your friend is perfectly happy and you just want to surprise her and make her day even better? You guessed it…make a meal!
YOUR TURN: Do you ever deliver meals to friends? If so, what do you usually bring? What meal ideas can you share?