Throughout history, there have been times to stand up for a good cause. To congregate for the betterment of society. To give voice to the voiceless. To put aside self and make sacrifices in order to protect the current and future generations.
The OCCUPY movement is not one of them.
Following please find some basic principles for those who would seek to protest the 1%.
If you want to protest debt, carefully consider if you ought to take out loans in the first place. If the perceived benefit outweighs the risks, take the lowest amount possible and work doggedly to pay them off quickly.
If you want to protest steeping tuition costs, carefully consider if you ought to go to college in the first place. Perhaps it might be better to start your own company or to intern in a trade. Perhaps you may want to choose a state university or pursue a job alongside your studies. Whatever your choice, be diligent about learning. Work hard.
If you want to protest the poor economy, do contribute to the economy.
- Exercise your right to vote.
- Write, call, tweet, and otherwise engage with your political representatives.
- Think about running for political office or other leadership positions.
- Teach your children how to manage money, how to live with less, and how to love others.
- Protest debt by living debt-free.
- Show kindness to your fellow man.