I want to be everything.
I want to be everywhere.
But the days are short and my dreams are long.
- I want to make inspired meals – from scratch.
- I want to be on top of my inbox, responding to inquiries and comments with witty and wonderful replies.
- I want to be the kind of friend who drops by with fresh pumpkin bread or a bottle of wine at just the right moment.
- I want to be a wife who touches, who forgives, who lingers.
- I want to be a Somebody on Twitter (there, I said it).
- I want to contribute to politics and business and art.
- I want to be an involved mother, the kind that plays actively and loves fully, with energy to spare.
During the day, I scribble to-do’s on my navy blue college-rule notebook.
At night, I lay beside my baby in the dark, writing poetry in my mind.
I’ve been asking myself – how can I stretch my time to its maximum? As it is, I don’t watch television or putter around department stores. But I am yearning for more discipline in my life.
Tim & I have been talking a lot about the value of FOCUSing on tasks. We want to set designated times for things, like 9-10am for twitter or 2-2:30pm for working out or Tuesdays for laundry or the 1st Thursday of the month for writing out birthday cards. I don’t want to be religious about routines (THAT wouldn’t suit my spontaneous soul), but…I think a schedule would help. I’ll let you know how it goes as we begin filling in slots.
What about YOU? Do you have allotted times/days for laundry, cleaning, friendship, exercise, being online, etc.? Also – How do you practice discipline in your use of social media?