I just made the most delicious homemade Cincinnati Chili*.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 14-16 oz. can whole tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 16 oz. can red kidney beans with their liquid (use a variety without added sugar, if possible)
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the meat in its own juices until it is browned.
- Add the other ingredients in the order above. Simmer the chili gently for at least 30 minutes and up to one hour.
The chili was hearty and scrumptious with a hint of sweetness - and it filled our house with the most wonderful fall smells.
I served it up with plenty of cheddar cheese on top and cornbread on the side.
* Recipe taken from The Six O'Clock Scramble: Quick, Healthy, and Delicious Dinner Recipes for Busy Families by Aviva Goldfarb. Check it out for other fast and easy recipes for your family!