Pack light and keep it simple. Birth is a whirlwind experience and you need very few items for the journey:
- A robe
- Heating pad
- Loose coming home outfit: pajamas (like the cute majamas nursing pj set I found at www.tummystyle.com - see illustration), athletic wear items, etc.
- A nursing bra
- Toiletries: Shampoo, conditioner, hairbrush, deodorant, hair tie, etc.
- A pillow from home
- Snacks for your spouse and yourself after the birth
- Digital camera and extra batteries
- Carseat w/ corresponding head pillow
- Layette for baby (see my blog entitled "coming home outfit")
Please keep in mind that the hospital will most likely provide a hospital gown for L & D, a rocking chair, a birthing ball, a stool, ice chips, popsicles, pads, witch hazel pads, ice packs, big mesh underwear for after birth, a spray bottle, some kind of pain relieving spray, and a tv with a dvd or vhs player.